Crossing the US/Canada Border
When crossing the international border north or southbound there are International Laws that must be adhered to:
Horses need to be brokered across the International line when they are on a Commercial Carrier.
ALL HORSES MUST HAVE A CURRENT COGGINS AND AN INTERNATIONAL HEALTH CERTIFICATE.
Coggins are good for 6 months.
Health Certificates expire 30 days from the date of inspection. (We highly recommend you don't complete your health certificate until shipping dates are confirmed.)
Border Vet Fees apply when horses are travelling into the USA either permanently or for a stay over 30 days. Fee is $47.00 USD
Horses that have not been in the USA (Foreign Imports) must also see a Canadian vet upon entering Canada at the border.
All Medications must be marked clearly with horses name and prescribing vets name. The office must be notified in writing of what meds the horse is on and what the dosage is.
All tack boxes must be able to be opened if customs wants to look inside and have a complete listing of the entire contents.
ALL PERMITS, VET TESTS, PAPERS, LAYOVER FEES AND INSPECTIONS ARE AT THE CLIENT'S EXPENSE.
Current Border Restrictions
CANADIAN BORDER CLOSED TO HORSES FROM TEXAS|
Due to numerous reported cases of Vesicular Stomatitis (VS) horses originating in Texas cannot be imported directly into Canada. You need 21 days out of State. We can ship to Oklahoma for you.
Visit www.usda.gov for more information.
From time to time there are changes to statements that must be included on the international health form. The USDA office local to the area where the horse is should have all information pertaining to what is required when shipping the horse Northbound into Canada.
Texas and New Mexico currently have restrictions on horses importing to Canada. If horses have a Texas or New Mexico origin/coggins the following steps must be completed or they have to be taken out of state for 21 days have a coggins done from states other than Texas or New Mexico.
1. CFIA Permit for the CANADIAN FOOD INSPECTION AGENCY in your area. Permit Original must either be couriered to where the horse(s) are in Texas or mailed/bused to our office.
2. Do not order Piroplasmosis test until exact date of transport is determined at which time we will contact the vet in Texas to order piro test to be done
3. Vet in Texas will pull piro test, at which time it needs to be sent to AMES IOWA LAB ONLY, this is the only lab that is accredited to do the piroplasmosis INTERNATIONAL test.
4. Vet in Texas must provide a current coggins (valid for only 6 months), a state health paper to get the horse up to Interstate Vet in Goldsby, Oklahoma. 405 288 6267 is phone number there.
5. When we pick up horse we take them to Interstate for the International health paper, we have to present the coggins, permit and piro to get the International Health.
6. We then drive to Oklahoma city for the Federal Stamp.
7. When we arrive at border we then present all original papers obtained above with the horse to the Federal Vet at the border for inspection.